Friday, December 23, 2011

Holiday Cooking

I love cooking. It is a passion of mine. Being Italian, I think it is just in my DNA. Growing up, holidays were always filled with family and food. In my 35 years, I have only not spent Christmas with my family once.

My Aunt Phyllis has an amazing condo that overlooks Lake Michigan and she use to host Christmas Eve. She is practically a gourmet cook. We would all sit around this big table and pass plates and plates of meats, fish and veggies. I am getting hungry just thinking of it.

This year will be a lot quieter, though. We are going to my older brother's house for brunch and then back to my parents house. We always spend the night and have Christmas morning there. Then at some point in the afternoon we head over to Joe's mom's house. We are very fortunate that our parents live so close to each other and we are able to see everyone.

Last night I made homemade sauce and meatballs to take to my parents. Nothing says family dinner like a big bowl of pasta!

Talking of family dinner, my younger brother and his girlfriend came over earlier this week for dinner. I made a slow cooked pork roast with apples, potatoes and carrots. It was amazing. You know a meal is good when the there is silence at the dinner table!



The juice left over from the roast was so flavorful; I strained it and used it to make mushroom and asparagus risotto last night. Joe says I am amazing with leftovers. He always wants me to write down my recipes, but I kind of just add a pinch of this and a splash of that until it tastes right. It is really hard for me to recreate anything.

I can't wait to see what I get for Christmas. Everything I asked for was cooking related!

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas Eve Eve!
Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment