Sunday, May 12, 2013

I Miss You


Day 12, Sunday: What do you miss? (a person, a thing, a place, a time of your life...)

I miss this lady everyday.



On Mother's Day 2009, my beloved grandma passed away from pancreatic cancer. 

My grandma was an amazing woman. She was from England. She met my Grandfather, an American GI, when he was stationed in England during WWII. My Grandfather was 14 years older than my Grandmother. They got married when he was on a 3 day leave and 9 months and 1 day later my mom was born. The war ended and my Grandfather went back to America. My Grandmother and Mom came to America 10 months later.

She was always such a strong and optimistic person. She would always say "this too shall pass," and "everything happens for a reason." She had such great stories about living through the war.

We talked everyday and she was my shopping buddy. 

I miss our Sunday morning coffee time at my parent's house. I miss sitting and having a nice cup of tea in the afternoon. I miss going to Chicago and shopping at Marshall Fields (Macy's now). I miss her accent and all he wonderful sayings. I just miss everything about her.

I found out I was pregnant with my daughter two days after she passed away (May 12, 2009 - 4 years ago today!). I wish she would have gotten to meet her great-granddaughter and share with her what she shared with me. 

Mother's Day is a very bittersweet day for me - I lost such an amazing woman in my life and started my much awaited journey to becoming a mother myself. 

So on this Mother's Day I celebrate, I celebrate the great woman my Grandmother was and still is to me and celebrate because I am blessed to have my own daughter. 

Happy Mother's Day!

Have a great rest of your day!
Nikki




2 comments:

  1. Whenever she is now, I know she wants you to be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bittersweet Mothers Day post. To lose a beautiful grandmother on such a day, I think that is what steals my breath the most.

    Beautiful tribute, beautiful.

    Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete