Thursday, October 25, 2012

Indian Summer



Well I think we had our "Indian Summer."  It has been almost 80 the last two days. Gwen and I ditched the office yesterday and headed out to my parent's to soak up the last warm day of the year.  It was so nice.  We picked the last of the tomatoes and sat on the deck.  I love that we can do this.  Unfortunately we don't know how many more days we have out there.



My parents went to a meeting last night and it is official the Illiana Tollway is a go.  Construction is to begin 2014.  It just makes me so sad. My parents have worked so hard for what they have and now it is going to be taken away. Earlier this year the wonderful state of Illinois passed the quick-take law, that allows the state to take property and give what they think is a fair price. I thought eminent domain was bad, this is just wrong.

My parent's home and land is paid for. They have never taken anything from anyone. My dad is a Vietnam vet and union worker (retired). They built the "American Dream" and now it is being taken away from them.  I just don't get it.  You work hard your whole life. You save your money.  You Pay your bills. You retire thinking you are going to be ok. Then the carpet is pulled out from underneath you.  The stability you thought you had is gone.

I am so sad and frustrated, but we will make the best of it.  We will enjoy the time we have. We will continue to plant gardens and play until they tell we can't. We will find another place to call home.  Because home is wherever Mom and Dad are.

So for now we are going to enjoy the time we have and look forward to what the future holds.



But for what it is worth -  NO ILLIANA TOLLWAY!

Have a great rest of your evening.

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment