Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Lesson in Patience

Yesterday was not a good day. But each day holds within it a lesson. Looking back, yesterday's was patience. I know I need more. I have been so tightly wound lately. I get frazzled so easily and I am just plain annoyed all the time.

Well yesterday was my breaking point. Gwen was super clingly in the morning as I was trying to get ready for work. Every time I tried to put her down she would lay/sit on the floor and bang her head off of it or the wall. I finally got myself somewhat put together and head out for the day.

We arrive at Gwen's daycare and the parking lot is a madhouse. I patiently wait my turn for someone to pull out, when this women pulls up next to me and then honks at me when I go to take the parking spot that was rightfully mine. I was so livid I actually opened my door and yelled at her. I am normally a non-confrontational person, but I just lost it yesterday. I get inside and Gwen wont let me put her down. I just had to leave her screaming on the floor. Not the way I like to by any means.

I was still a little rattled when I got to work, but a few cups of tea and a call to a dear friend helped me get back into the right frame of mind. The day ended a lot better then it began. Thankfully.

Looking back on yesterday has given me some perspective. I need to be more patient and let things go. I can not control everything no matter how hard I try. Things will get done and I will do a better job if I just take a step back and not try to rush through everything. I need to pay more attention to the details at hand and spend less time worrying about the things I can't control.

Yesterday was just another lesson, a lesson I need to continue learning from.

Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. ~ Thomas Carlyle

No comments:

Post a Comment